Stony Brook University was established in 1957 as a college for the preparation of secondary school teachers of mathematics and science; our first campus was located at Oyster Bay, Long Island, on the grounds of a former Gold Coast estate. In 1962, a new campus was built in Stony Brook, on land donated by local philanthropist Ward Melville. Part of the State University of New York system, Stony Brook now encompasses 123 buildings on 1,100 acres. In the nearly fifty years since its founding, the University has grown tremendously, and is now recognized as one of the nation's important centers of learning and scholarship—carrying out the mandate given by the State Board of Regents in 1960 to become a university that would stand with the finest in the country.
Stony Brook University Libraries' Archive-It partnership account provides a gateway to intellectual discovery in support of Stony Brook University’s missions of education, research and service by documenting the evolution of the university's development, and ensuring lasting access to the intellectual output of the university's campus community and partners.
Enter a search term on the right to search the text within the archived pages. Or for more search options, use the Advanced Search options below.
Sites and collections from this organization are listed below. Narrow your results at left, or enter a search query below to
find a collection, site, specific URL or to search the text of archived webpages.